Monday, August 16, 2010

Opening Weekend Thoughts... Payback's a Bitch



See what happens when you are a dick and pander to a team that isn't even yours?



That's karma for you.

Then we have the one who wanted to stay in London and wanted CL football yet turned it down for a bigger paycheck, our boy Joke Hole getting what he deserves.



I must say those two look like they are moving in to punish him, like an African version of those twins from the Matrix movies...

So as I sit here working on material for this post I flip to FSC, only to see the last ten minutes of Soccer Talk Live. This show being the replacement for Triple F, and what a shoddy piece of work this is. I will say it was wise to retain the services of Temryss Lane, and the addition of a new email girl as the only reasons to stay tuned in. I have only seen five minutes and I can't stand this jackhole co-host whoever the fuck he is. This show feels like a step backwards, like we are watching Wayne's World in the basement of my mom's house.

I suppose I may need to watch one of these shows in full, but I don't know that I will be able to sit through an hour of it. I will say that I wont mind having our favorite "expert" Wynalda off the air as he seems to prefer hearing the sound of his own voice over saying something meaningful. I digress.

That aside, the real news is that the silly season is over and we have real football to watch again. We, the Morning Pint crew, headed out to Hollywood this Sunday for the first outing of the season at Capitol City Sports Grill for the Arsenal, Liverpool match.

The first observation was how great football is in HD. They have finally figured it out and the quality was excellent. FSC have gotten something right and I hear even FS+ is being broadcast in HD. We joined the LA Gooners for a great kick off to the season and the venue did not disappoint. We will be catching many a match at the new spot and all those in the area should come join.




I was disappointed by the result, but I felt it was fair based on the day's performance. Arsenal have just about all the tools needed, but depth in the all too familiar areas of defense and goalkeeper. I had been planning on previewing the season several times but truly my expectations are dependent on late transfer action.

United looked good today, and as much as I hate to say it I think they will win the league. Best part of the match though was seeing Joey Barton's filthy stache. Nothing like a sweet dirt squirrel to make England's classiest footballer look even more noble.



Chelsea looked the same boring Chelsea even in their demolition of West Brom, but I think the return of Essien and the addition of Ramires could be enough to allow them to retain the title, yet I don't see it happening.

My beloved Arsenal will probably labor to third again unless we see what we hope and bring in a keeper and experienced CB. I have been saying for the past couple years that this would be the season the squad would come good. With signings I believe it can be done this year. If not, more of the same for us Gooners.

The title will be hotly contended for and I believe it to be a three horse race, with the battle for fourth to be even more hotly contested. City should make the breakthrough but Liverpool will give a good fight to take the spot back based on their performance on the weekend. Spurs will drop out, lucky if they get a Europa League place. Here's to the Young Boys embarrassing the shit outta them spuds as unlikely as it is. Good to have proper football back.

1 comment: